Wednesday, April 17, 2013

To Race in Manhattan - Part 4 of 4

I knew it was time for business. Just as a gladiator steps into an arena to fight for his life, this was how I pictured myself. Running was my life, and to do anything less than what I had come for would nearly kill me mentally.
Looking around to see where the meet was at, at this certain point in time, I realized I could already begin to unpack my belongings and start my stretching. I felt as if I might explode with excitement. So much hype and energy from the crowd was all around and here I was in the middle of it.
After only a few minutes of stretching, I knew I could safely begin to go warm-up outside with a few easy miles. Two mile warm-up was the plan, as I ran several blocks around the city’s busy streets. Not a thought passed as to where I was, for I was afraid it may take my mind off what was most important, the race. After a quick fifteen minutes, which seemed to fly by much quicker than usual, I headed back indoors to lace up the spikes and do a few strides.
Strides are a short quick burst of faster than race-pace running. These took place the floor below the track with a number of other athletes. As I carried out my strides, I remember feeling on top of the world. My legs felt as if they could carry me a thousand miles, while my breathing remained controlled and relaxed.
Every part of my warm-up routine was passing by in what seemed like no time at all. With my mind being so preoccupied, I headed up the stairs only to stand and wait for my turn to compete.
At the track, there were three heats of the men’s 5000 meter run, of which started out slowest to fastest. The first two heats flew by, as I tried walking or jogging around to keep an edge on my nerves. However, now was my time.
“Gentlemen, as I call out your name, come and stand where I place you.” Said one of the race officials.
I took a look at the fourteen other men in my heat, excluding myself, only to recognize several of these athletes to be the very same ones I had read of in magazines, of which two I had seen race on television. My heart was in panic mode. Truth be told, my best 5000 meter time was 16:24, and I entered the race with a 15:50, so that I may race with the fastest individuals. Every other athlete had run their previously stated time, the pressure building in my mind with each passing minute as I stood with my fellow competitors.
Stepping onto the track, something occurred which I had not expected. The lights within the arena had dimmed down to make the inside track seem as close to pitch dark as possible. A spot light emerged, only to land on the group of fifteen boys, myself included. The official motioned each of us as a group to head to the opposite side of the track, nearly one-hundred meters away from the starting line. Once there, the announcer picked up and gave us quite the introduction.
“Ladies and gentlemen, I give you your top seeded section of the fastest distance boys in the United States!” The announcer exclaimed.
  The crowd stood up, and the cheering became overwhelming. Excitement filled the atmosphere, and all attention was on us. One by one the announcer stated our names, as we each separately jogged half a lap towards the starting line with crowds cheering, and our faces on the screen up above the center of the track for all those there to see.
“Brian Yates, of Hickory, North Carolina!” Said the announcer.
I began my slow jog, as I looked up towards the crowd to see them cheering. I couldn’t believe what I was experiencing. Never had I been a part of something so special, for I knew again this would serve as a life changing moment.

            -Track before was just an interest. Now it was a way of life.

            I made it to the starting line, and the names of the other competitors continued to be called. I waited only a few minutes till everyone finally arrived to where I stood, as the lights turned on and the track lit up.
            “Men I will give you two commands. On your mark, and then the gun shot. Be careful, and good luck.” Said the official.
            With the blast of the gun my race was underway. Solomon Haile, the top seeded runner, had started a very quick pace upfront, causing the guys behind him to follow closely in pursuit. I knew I could run fast, but not at the pace he had created. My mind had to remain sharp, and focus on the game plan I had created prior.
            As we reached the first mile I looked up to see the clock read out 4:57. To be honest I was very shocked. At that moment I felt as if I had been running very slowly. The guys in my heat were all ahead by then, and I was nearly ten meters behind. Thoughts were racing through my mind left and right.
Why was I in last with a sub five minute mile? Were these guys all going to run away from me? Would I finish last with a poor time?
            Soon after these thoughts emerged I tried picking up the pace some. Before I knew it guys were coming back, and I was catching up. My time at two miles was 10:03, so I knew I had slowed down some but for the most part had remained constant in speed. With 1.1 miles left in the race, this would be the moment where the pain became most prominent. Sweat began to drip from the top of my forehead down past my eyes, causing me to squint. Blood had rushed to my face early on, and by this point I looked somewhat like a cherry up top. Labored breathing was at its worst, and my legs began to feel weak, as if they would soon give out.
            Just a few minutes had passed by, before Solomon began to pass me on his way to the finish. The announcer claimed he was on his way to breaking the national record, and by this point the crowd had become ecstatic. Fans were jumping up and down, cheering to the top of their lungs, and giving everything they could to help Solomon make history.
            “14:22, a new national record!” Exclaimed the announcer, as Solomon finished.
            At that time, the clock remained fixed on the winning time, making it impossible to see how everyone else might finish. For myself, I just focused on the track that lay ahead, and returned all my thoughts to the last few laps that moment. Knowing I had to meet my goal of 15:50, simply for personal satisfaction, I tried giving one last burst of speed as I sprinted towards the finish. As I crossed the line, I tried to remain calm and regain my breathing back to normal as I stood waiting to see my time on the scoreboard.
            15:49! I did it! Excitement instantly ran across my face, as I had reached my goal. Searching for my mother in the stands I could see she had been thrilled as well. I had finished eleventh in my heat, and thirteenth overall out of the thirty-nine athletes that had compromised all three heats. Three months of dedication had finally paid off, for now was the time to relax and enjoy the reward of my hard work in training.

No comments:

Post a Comment