Wednesday, April 17, 2013

To Race in Manhattan - Part 1 of 4

There are few moments in life where as you go through an experience you realize at that time it will be life changing. For me this moment is now.  The day is March 15, 2009. I prepare for my toughest track race to date, as part of the indoor high school national meet, located in the heart of Manhattan.
The buildup in preparation for this race had lasted months, with what seemed to be an endless amount of miles run alone during a cold and rainy season. Averaging nearly sixty-five miles a week, my legs had felt their share of pain. Mentally exhausted, I was more than ready to execute my race plan and run fast.
The race was 5000 meters, consisting of twenty-five laps on a 200 meter oval track. The sides of the track were banked, similar to a NASCAR track, making the turns easier to handle when running at a fast pace. That was the first time I had ever seen something like that, of which I had no idea existed until that moment. The venue, “The Armory,” was known to be the world’s fastest indoor track where some of the largest meets were held, bringing in the greatest competitors from around the globe. Today’s race was no different, as I and thirty-eight other boys toed the starting line ready to compete.

No comments:

Post a Comment