Wednesday, April 10, 2013

In the Heat of Battle

It had been a disappointing season. I was expecting to run quick, but to this point I was yet to produce a decent performance. It was the night of the Volunteer Track Classic. I was scheduled to run the two-mile.
My mother suggested skipping the race, and I couldn’t blame her suggestion. I hadn’t run the week prior due to a minor injury. My training had suffered, and my inability to run was making me restless.
“Fuck it, I’ll run.” I thought.
Later that night I arrived at the University of Tennessee. The race was known for being one of the fastest on the East-coast for high school men’s distance events. I was anxious.
“Please God; don’t let this be a disaster.” I thought.
Meticulous about my warm-up jog, stretching, and drills, I began my pre-race routine forty-five minutes before the race was scheduled to start. Everything prior to the race had to be perfect.
As I was finishing my warm-up, I was informed the meet had fallen behind schedule by ninety minutes.
“Dammit, I’m screwed,” I thought.
I came to the conclusion that this race wouldn’t end well and prove to be a waste of time. Despite these circumstances, I tried to pull my thoughts together and develop a positive mind set. It was crucial to make the best of the situation. I needed to post a fast time. I needed to reassure myself that running wasn’t a waste of time.
Fifteen of us made it to the starting line. Now was my moment. With the blast of the gun, we all took off. My nerves transformed into excitement as I felt a jolt of energy run through my body. Positioning myself in the pack of the runners, I tried to maintain a relaxed running form.
Approaching the one mile mark, I glanced at the scoreboard. It read 4:53. Normally I’d feel ecstatic seeing a time such as this. The experienced runner knows, however, that there is no room for celebration until the end of the race. It’s often “make or break” in the last half of the race. It’s at this point where the athlete has his boundaries tested and limits pushed. Some rise to the occasion and others simply fail. I was not about to fail.
Feeling light headed, slightly dizzy, and exhausted to no end, I put every last ounce of energy into the remaining laps. Sprinting into the finish, I glanced toward the scoreboard. Upon finishing, it read: Brian Yates – 9:48.
I collapsed. My body was done. Despite all of the unfortunate circumstances, I was successful.
My time might have been insignificant in comparison to others, but to me it was special. I’d say it sure was a good day in Tennessee. 

No comments:

Post a Comment