Thursday, May 2, 2013

A Letter to Lopez

During a time in which I was trying to figure out what I wanted to do with my life, I received some guidance that helped to put my life in perspective and back on track to help shape These Newfound Perspectives that I have today.

I asked Lopez Lomong the following:


“What would you say was the single most difficult aspect of pursuing your dream that most people might not know about? And if any, what lesson might you have learned from that experience that has helped shape you into the person you are today?”

Brian,
Thank you so much for your message.  Congratulations on achieving your degree of success already and on your athletic achievements as well.  I think running as a professional is an incredible career although there are real challenges involved as well.  It is not a very stable career as each year's performances determine the support you get from your sponsors.  Additionally it can be challenging on your personal life as it requires extensive time out of country or at training camps.  Most professionals struggle to balance the career and personal life although it certainly can be done. 
If you have the opportunity to run professionally to start your career I highly recommend it.  Chasing after the Olympic dream has been one of the most fulfilling journeys I have ever taken in my lifetime. Even if I had never made the Olympic team the journey forever changed me as a person.
Best wishes and keep running hard!!
Lopez Lomong

No comments:

Post a Comment